I was recently lucky enough to have had the opportunity to meet with Style Expert Lynn Spence for Scotch Brand Tape.
I had a fabulous time talking with her about how to wrap and personalize your gifts for this holiday season. Here are some great tips she mentioned:
1. Stock Up – Before you start wrapping, make sure you have all of the necessary supplies. Quality scissors and tape will make the gift wrapping experience a breeze (see proof points below)
2. Stay Sharp – Have a sharp pair of scissors, such as Scotch Precision Ultra Edge Scissors, for cutting paper and other materials. It will allow you to achieve greater precision with your cuts. And if tape on your scissors is a pet peeve, Scotch Precision Ultra Edge Non-Stick Scissors use non-stick technology that means no more sticky build up on blades.
3. One of a Kind Tags – You can make your own gift tags by using the back of old holiday cards. Cut pictures or words from magazines, and paste them on the gift card to make it festive. Voila! Your own customized gift tag.
4. Go Glam – Add luxury to your packages with glamorous materials such as metallic papers that will make anyone feel spoiled. Fashioned inspired animal print or sophisticated quilted paper will look luxurious under the tree.
5. Mix It Up – Move away from traditional wrapping paper by incorporating new textures such as rice, foil and matte papers into your wrapping repertoire. Mixed colours and patterns are also a great way to add visual interest to your presents.
6. Au Natural – For a more organic, eco look, use recycled papers or materials such as linen, Kraft paper, fabric remnants, burlap or a fabulous vintage scarf.
7. In Lieu of Glue – For tasks where you’d traditional use glue, reach for Scotch® Double-Sided Tape, a no-mess alternative for light duty attaching and mounting tasks.
8. Fit to Be Tied – Homemade bows are easier to make than you think. Simply tie the ribbon as you would a shoelace, and use fresh greens or other ornamentation to “dress up” the package. The recipient will surely be impressed with the “professional look” of the present!
9. Stay Seamless – Scotch GiftWrap Tape features a unique satin finish that disappears on most gift wrap papers. Makes all your gifts look great! Easy to dispense and sticks securely.
10. Make It Last – The joy of giving is always in style but before you start wrapping gifts, make sure you stock up on quality tape like Scotch Brand to ensure your packages stay sealed until its time to unwrap them.
11. Waste Not, Want Not – Get creative with scraps of paper, ribbons and other found items to add pizzazz to your wrapping and help the environment by keeping these items out of the waste basket.
12. ‘Tis the Season – Before you start gift wrapping, put on some holiday music, relax and have fun! Remember – it’s the thought that counts
Here are some of the fabulous gifts she wrapped, they sure make me want to wrap gifts right away. I have also included some comments and some of my own tips for perfect presentation every time. Be sure to check out the Scotch Brand website for great products you must have for the perfect aids to help your gift wrapping.
Scotch Brand Tape Products
This is totally masculine but also perfect for the fisherman/woman in your life. When I saw this paper I immediately thought of my mum because she loves to fish. I would have never thought to have wrapped a gift using this paper so I am so happy to see something out of my comfort zone. Lynn embellished it with some little lures which makes it's so much more personal IMHO.
This silver paper is so beautiful, it reminds me of the old tin ceilings in older homes and churches. It's so elegant and stylish and when paired with the same color ribbon and a cute car ornament, it not only says that you care about the person you wrapped it for, but it also is a gorgeous work of art.
This gift was wrapped in this gorgeous thick paper that looked like pine needles all over it. It was so gorgeous and I just love the natural bow that was made out of a fabric that resembles aida cloth. The pine cones and raffia add a nice touch and it just makes the gift stand out.
This gift was wrapped in some gorgeous gold gilded paper. The paper had embossed and glittered designs that added so much to the paper. Lynn added a gorgeous wide bow and put on a starfish. It'd be perfect for the beach lover in your family or someone who just loves the ocean. It's very non-traditional, gorgeous and would be so beautiful under anyone's tree this year.
This is one of my favorites. You can't tell from the picture but the paper feels like handmade leaves all over and has a great texture to it, I will have to see if I can find out where Lynn got this, it's so perfect. Add to that a traditional plaid bow and some jingle bells and you have one gorgeous gift that anyone would love to receive.
More gift samples to follow tomorrow, now it's time for bed. Enjoy and happy wrapping!